Friday, July 21, 2006

So much for charity

David Walliams, from one of my favourite shows ‘Little Britain’ managed the magnificent feat of generating about £1 Million for his chosen charity. After a year of rigorous training he took just 10.5-hours to swim across the English channel for Speedo Sport Relief. No small task for a non athlete.

Personal charity appeals like these have always moved me. One of my dearest colleagues from my last place of work had shaven his long curly locks off for charity.One of the managers at the same place, was trying to raise money by losing his extra stubborn weight.

Another remarkable example is of my neighbour, she is climbing to the base camp of Mount Everest for charity right now as I write. She is a small built woman and she had to train for a year, exercise and meditate regularly to prepare and qualify for the expedition.

Taking up challenges like these, giving up something important to you to make a difference is an act of self emancipation of a very high degree. These people have given more than money to their charities, they have given their positive energy ,hope and strength of their souls.

In the context of charities, one of the most disillusioning episodes of my life without any exaggeration, was a documentary about how well the money raised by Sport Relief in the UK was being used for Tsunami victims and other underprivileged children in India. People donated with big hands and bigger hearts and a lot of money was generated.

I was so disturbed by the thought that India in spite of doing so well economically is in need of money and volunteers from other countries to tackle the real problems. I was and still am so ashamed for not doing enough. Guilt stricken, I kept thinking, why our inability to do enough for our own brethren did not discourage the people who made generous and heartfelt donations.

Reason, I realised was true charity just sees the need and not the cause. A prayer at the end that our charity increases as much as our wealth.

9 Comments:

Blogger Neetee said...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us. And most of all, thank you for allowing us to see your selflessness, and that of your friends.

These are very important words. I have chosen your post to be featured as "Blog of the Week" on my site.

Thank you dumbdodi

6:03 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger Musically Me said...

so true....and so brilliant...

my favorite... true charity sees need not the cause.... people who can give only ask when, they dont ask why.....

6:38 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

This is very cool: "Another remarkable example is of my neighbour, she is climbing to the base camp of Mount Everest for charity"

7:35 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

Dear Queen Neetee, I am so truly honoured and humbled. I was very hesitant while writing this as I didn't want to be preachy. My friends have done great things but I really haven't.I am just hoping my god will guide me through it, nothing happens before time. Isn't it?

@Music Fan....Your visits and comments mean a lot. Whatever I write is a piece of me and anyone who reads them gets closer to me.
BTW I am really waiting for your return.

@Don...not enough words for you...Your visit was a big turning point to my blog.

10:16 am, July 22, 2006  
Blogger ufukhati said...

Radhika,

1.I enjoy your previous poems.
2.In this world so many more have the golden hearts.Regards to them.
3.Write more!

1:35 pm, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Keep on writing. You have talent!

8:55 pm, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Gaurav said...

yeah keep on writing dods... :)

10:53 pm, July 22, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

Don, Thank you once again. Will try my best

@Gaurav, keep reading!!!

1:10 am, July 23, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Ufukhati, warm welcome. Glad that you enjoy my writing and that you liked my other writing as well.

I wish, I understood the language in which you write on your blog. Do you have any english translations of your work. I would love to read them

1:22 am, July 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home