Monday, July 31, 2006

Parent Trap

Lately there have been two new readers on my blog, my mum and dad. Their first piece of caution "Don’t write anything anti-government and controversial, as they might ban your blog and we won’t be able to read it here". How sweet and naïve of them to think, it could really happen.

My parents have always been extremely proud of me; much to my dismay sometimes as they were and still are very vocal about my achievements however insignificant and trivial.

When I was at school, I somehow happened to be good at many things. I won every debate and essay writing competition I ever entered, was consistently one of the rank holders at academics, was student body leader both during my junior and high school and I even played Table Tennis for my state. Before you conclude that I am on an ego trip let me stress that I do have a point to make.

It being that, because of my wins I took my parents being proud about me for granted. I never realised, that there are some kids who crave to be appreciated by their parents, that no matter how hard they try they will never be good enough for them. Not in arrogance, but in innocence I never realised how encouraging my folks were and how they had managed to keep my mind free with no fear about failure.

Best of parent-children relationships see conflict of opinions, habits and attitudes. Fortunately without any love being lost, I and my parents crossed that hurdle. There are still certain things they do out of love for me which drive me crazy, but I can laugh these things off now without blowing the roof off.

Like for instance, my parents have self-appointed themselves as my publicists. They have been passing on my blog’s URL to everyone. I am not protesting to that as my blog is public and it is open to all and anyways more readers mean more feedback and more diverse opinions. But if the same thing were to happen when I was a teenager, I would have picked up an unnecessary argument with them.

During my rebellious years as a teen, there was a stage where my parents stopped stopping me. It started worrying me then that they had given up on me, on the contrary they had accepted me as I was with full confidence that I would eventually grow out of my antics.

After four years of being out of my teens, being on my own, being married, I have finally learnt to accept my parents’ ways of showing their love and pride for me, knowing that they will never grow out of those.

Though I have several years before the day, I do wonder and worry about the kind of parent I will be. To have a daughter like I was in my adolescence is my worst nightmare. A thin silver lining though being that expert and experienced advice of my parents would be just a call away.

I have always wanted to be free, free of rules, free of restrictions but now I sometimes wish that I remain trapped in my parents’ world where I cease to grow and remain a kid no matter how old I grow in the real world.

30 Comments:

Blogger Jeevan said...

Parents appreciate encourages the child to achieve more. If our parents give freedom in our teenage, we have to make it a best for our life and society. My dad think that my blog, is a website and giving my URL to his friends, but no one have visited mine. Where is ur dad & mom blog’s?

6:00 am, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left home for a year without ever going back following family issues.It took me a while to resolve issues with my parents. But now when I am to have my own baby, I feel so grateful and close to my parents.
Very nice read.

9:06 am, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny things parents can do.Everyone has fights with their parents, my mom is now over 80 and we still argue. But I now worry about her health constantly. Once your parents go older, you end up having parental feelings for them.

10:15 am, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked it

10:41 am, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Such a wonderful perspective. I'm sure your parents are very proud of you. So much we learn about our parents as we grow older, and from that learning we gain new insight into ourselves. Beautiful and keep up the wonderful life work!

2:20 pm, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was nice, soothing to read

3:02 pm, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Musically Me said...

good one dodi....

i am sure your parents are very happy reading this... you have given beautiful words to the transition that takes place in a person as he/she grows...

i can understand every single word you have written coz i myself have been blessed with amma and bapu who have been there for me every single second of my life...if i can be 1/10 as good a parent as mine have been, i would consider myself a success.

3:35 pm, August 01, 2006  
Blogger ufukhati said...

dumbdodi,

I wish you to reflect this :

Fish liked to swim, yet not all kind of fishes could swim outside the pond. They could swim anywhere within the pond.

4:51 am, August 02, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Jeevan,Rhea,Malcolm and Dale
Thank you guys for sharing your experiences with us. Please do keep reading.

8:06 am, August 02, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Don yes you are right as we understand our parents we get insight into our own selves.BTW Don do you have any children?

@Moses, thanks for visiting by

@Music Fan, I hope they are happy to read this. Blessed are we for god gifted us such lovely parents.No matter what I do,I don't think I can ever reciprocate their emotions...well may be I could start with listening to and following their advises more....hehehehe

8:12 am, August 02, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@ufukhati, Thank you and will reflect upon it,I am thinking if I could actually write a post on it.
I wanted to ask you what does Ufukhati mean, is it just a name?

10:18 am, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Margie said...

Hi!
Thanks for visiting my blog!
I have seen you at Don's!
Nice to meet you!
That was an excellent piece.
Your parents I am sure are very proud of you.
My parents are both passed on....
and I do miss them.
I have them in my thoughts frequently.

11:34 am, August 02, 2006  
Blogger ufukhati said...

dumbdodi,

You are the only person who like to know the meaning of "ufukhati". I love to answer the question.

ufuk means horizon
hati means heart

So : the heart of the horizon

Thank You (Terima Kasih).

3:29 pm, August 02, 2006  
Blogger CE said...

Sometimes parents can be oppressive. Then is only one solution to that. Don't accept their authority. Just pretend. The point is not to stop growing. And expanding your world or consciousness.
To be really free, you must think for yourself. With a little from friends. And enlightened parents as well.

6:16 am, August 03, 2006  
Blogger CE said...

My typing is getting worse. I should forget about touch typing.

6:18 am, August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom wrote me a mail, copy and pasting it here-Radhika

My dear Radhika,

I received your mail but sorry, didn't reply immediately. On the same day , we read your all articles. we are really proud of you,

I wanted to write comments, But daddy said he wants some time to think. . Radhika, we felt very happy & proud of you.

Best wishes & Best of luck,
With lots of Love,

Yours,
Pilli

8:03 am, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Dumbdodi..Yes, I have two sons (Jeff 29 and Jason 26) and a grandson Evan 11. All wonderful!

1:01 pm, August 03, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Samuru999 Thanks for coming by. Nice to meet you too.I am sure your parents are watching out for you from up there.

@Ufukhati..beautiful name.Always thought of horizons and beyond horizons.Never thought it could have a heart. Very thoughtful :-)
PS: I am just held up with some stuff,will write soon about your phrase

@Imemine...right listen to all follow your own.I agree we need to make our own minds, seeking advise,blessings and opinions from parents

@Pilli (Cat)/Mummy I love you..Ummmmma

@Don..oh nice You look quite good for having a 11 year old grandson I must Say!!!!

2:15 pm, August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

radhika..

sorry for commenting so late.

iam really proud to see a small bud born at a remote and poor village and burgeoning and spreading its fragrance world-wide...

reading ur articles has made me nostalgic.iam remembering ur childhood days when we used to attend ur school annual gathering fests and used to come back home proudly with bunch of medals and certificates:-)

your feelings and opinion on parent-child relationships are highly commendable.Im sure whoever has read this article will remember his/her childhood days spent with parents.

So..keep it up!
awaiting more articles from ur pen.

daddy

5:11 pm, August 03, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

Dear Daddy

Beautifully written, may be you should consider starting your own blog! I love you so much.
But Daddy for the record, I was just born in a small village but I was born up in a CITY, I am not a village damsel, I am a City Girl. :-D

8:04 am, August 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello radhika

very nice

madhumama

9:39 am, August 06, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Madhumama Thank you :-) lots of love

2:38 pm, August 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey radhika...shilpa(afzalgunj) here
real good one
keep up the good work

2:49 pm, August 06, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

Howdy Shilpa, what a pleasant surprise!!! Great to hear from you, hope to keep in touch

7:30 pm, August 06, 2006  
Blogger Alex said...

@dumbdodi,
I must say that you have been blessed with a beautiful family. Encouragement and motivation is important for the minds of young children. It brings out the best in them. Appreciation is concomitant with motivation.
It is seldom that people understand the value of good parenthood. May your children enjoy be blessed with such a life.

8:09 pm, August 15, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Alex Thanks for your visit. I totally agree with you. It would be a big challenge to bring my kids well when I have them.
Thanks for all your wishes. I am blessed to have the family that I have

8:05 am, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Known Stranger said...

choooo chweet

1:23 pm, August 17, 2006  
Blogger dumbdodi said...

@Known stranger Thank you :-)

7:57 am, August 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my post .Where i can watch more info about?

7:32 am, January 19, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ego ops slow environment per working added wo

9:50 am, February 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home